|WATER RESOURCEs ENGINEER - NHC Edmonton, Alberta
Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international firm of consulting civil engineers and geoscientists providing professional services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. We have an immediate opening in our Edmonton office for a junior water resources engineer to assist on a variety of projects involving field surveys, data analysis, hydrology, hydraulic design, river engineering, and numerical modeling. The successful candidate will complete high-quality assignments, including both engineering analysis and technical writing, under the supervision of project managers and Principals while working within defined schedules and budgets to meet our clients' expectations.
Required Skills & Experience
The following required skills and experience must be clearly demonstrated in each applicant's resume or cover letter. Specific details of the applicant's role in past projects or their related experience to support each requirement should be included. Resumes need not be limited to two pages.
- Post-graduate degree in water resources engineering (or equivalent specialization).
- Registered Engineer-in-Training with APEGA or presently eligible to become registered.
- Strong technical writer with demonstrated ability to prepare written reports and communicate information in a well-organized, logical, and effective manner.
- Able to solve engineering problems independently and provide clear and well-documented support for all methods and assumptions used to derive results and conclusions.
- Effective verbal communicator and project team collaborator.
- Strong foundational knowledge and keen interest in hydrology, hydraulic design, river engineering, stormwater management, and related subject areas.
- Available to travel for field assignments including site inspections, surveys, measurements, and construction monitoring in and around waterbodies. Previous field experience is not required, but considered an asset. Typical assignments are one week or less in duration.
- Valid motor vehicle operator's license (Alberta Class 5 or equivalent).
Desired Skills & Experience
The desired skills and experience below are considered an asset.
- Previous consulting experience in Canada or specialized training in water management, hydraulic design, hydraulic and hydrologic modeling, construction management, or sediment transport.
- Experience applying hydrologic and hydraulic computer models. Please indicate which models and level of proficiency (e.g. familiar, proficient, or highly-proficient) on your resume.
- Experience conducting field survey work. Details of the nature of work and the applicant's involvement should be clearly described.
- Proficiency in GIS and Civil 3D software programs.
NHC offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including annual merit-based bonuses. Most importantly, NHC offers the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals in an independent and specialized firm on technically challenging projects.
Qualified applicants are asked to send their cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Mr. Robyn Andrishak, P.Eng.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants that are short-listed for this position may be asked for employment references and/or a university transcript; however, applicants are welcome to provide these with their application.
NHC is an equal opportunity employer.