|junior gis analyst - NHC Vancouver, British Columbia
Northwest Hydraulic Consultants Ltd. (NHC) is an international consulting firm of engineers and scientists providing professional services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. NHC is an industry leader that provides water resource engineering solutions in specialty areas of numerical modeling, floodplain studies, watershed restoration, hydrology, and river morphology. We regularly use Geographical Information System (GIS) technology to support our work.
NHC is currently seeking a full-time junior GIS Analyst to join our team of professionals at our North Vancouver office.
The successful applicant will be expected to work closely with GIS, geomorphology, and engineering professionals in our Vancouver office and also work remotely with professionals in our other offices. Many of our professionals are well-versed in the capabilities of GIS and regularly utilize and apply it to their day-to-day project work, thus the importance for the applicant to have effective communication skills with other staff members. In addition, we are looking for a self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently. NHC offers motivated individuals the opportunity to expand their career interests into other areas of work that complement our water resources engineering business.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of GIS related software applications, databases, programming languages, and web applications. In addition, they would fully understand projections and would not be challenged when having to integrate different datums and coordinate systems into a GIS application.
The nature of the work will vary. However, we are currently working on several large flood hazard studies and require immediate support on GIS to facilitate our project work on numerical hydraulic modeling, floodplain mapping based on model results, generating map series, identifying assets at risk within the floodplain, and examining channel stability.
Other types of work may include:
- Gathering and digitizing data from various sources
- Mapping watershed boundaries and extracting watershed characteristics
- Generating maps for final reports and supporting field data collection
- Building digital elevation models by integrating topographic and bathymetric data
- Acquiring and integrating aerial imagery into project deliverables
- Updating and maintaining numerous GIS datasets and templates
- Gathering, compiling, migrating, and converting data sets for project needs from a variety of internal and external sources.
The job will start in October and continue on a temporary contract for six months, with possibility of renewal.
The following are required skills and knowledge:
- Degree or diploma from an accredited program in GIS
- Familiarity with Esri GIS software ArcGIS Desktop 10.x., including Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, and Python coding (arcpy)
- Understanding of map projections and coordinate systems
- Strong organizational skills
- Pays high attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication – for defining problems, communicating results, and documenting methodologies
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The following complementary skills would be considered an asset:
- CAD (Civil 3D)
- Database / file management and document control
- MS Excel and MS Word
- Python (arcpy) or other programming language(s)
- ArcGIS Model Builder.
Benefits include competitive salary, challenging work, and the opportunity to advance.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a cover letter and resume via email.
NHC is an equal opportunity employer.