|junior/staff engineer – nhc Seattle Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international firm of consulting civil engineers and geoscientists providing specialist services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. We currently have an opening for a junior or staff level engineer (0 – 5 years' experience) in our Seattle office. The job classification will be dependent upon the successful candidate's qualifications and experience.|
- Junior/Staff level engineers work closely with Senior Engineers and Principals supporting hydraulic, hydrologic, stormwater, and geomorphic analyses, as well as bank protection, fish passage, and habitat restoration designs. Junior/Staff level engineers typically work on 2-4 projects at a given time.
- Typical assignments vary and include field surveys, instream hydraulic measurements, data analysis, numerical hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, and engineering design.
Required Skills & Experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in civil/water resources/environmental engineering or a closely related field. Candidates without a graduate degree must have a minimum of 2 years' experience working in the field of water resources engineering.
- Licensed Engineer in Training, with the ability to become licensed as a Professional Engineer in Washington State within 3 years.
- All applicants must state their citizenship and explain their ability to work in the United States. Only U.S. citizens or applicants that have, or can readily obtain, a permanent work permit will be considered for employment.
- Strong technical writing background with demonstrated abilities to prepare written reports and communicate effectively.
- Self-motivated with the ability to solve engineering problems and work collaboratively on project teams.
- The position will include design and analysis work and therefore requires an interest in hydraulic engineering design, stream restoration, bank protection design, bridge/culvert hydraulics, fish passage and screening projects, and instream habitat enhancement.
- Experience applying hydrologic and hydraulic computer models. List the specific models in the employment application (either in the cover letter or your resume).
- Ability to complete on-site project work including field surveys, instream hydraulic measurements, and construction supervision.
- Proficiency in GIS and Civil 3D software programs is essential. Please describe level of experience with both of these platforms.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Specialized experience or training in watershed science, hydraulic design, hydraulic and hydrologic modeling, pumping and pipeline systems, construction management, sediment transport, or fish passage. Please list any specialized training or experience.
- Computer programming. Describe experience with specific programming languages.
- Surveying and field data collection/measurements. Describe experience as it relates to water resources.
NHC offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including annual merit-based bonuses. Most importantly, NHC offers the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals in an independent and specialized firm on technically challenging projects.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and references via email to this link. NHC is an equal opportunity employer and strives for workforce diversity. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.