|GIS Analyst – NHC Vancouver, British Columbia Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international consulting firm of engineers and scientists providing professional services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. NHC is an industry leader that provides water resource engineering solutions in specialty areas of numerical modeling, floodplain studies, watershed restoration, hydrology, and river morphology. Geographic Information System (GIS) technologies are an essential component of our consulting business. We are currently seeking a full-time GIS Analyst to join our team of professionals at our North Vancouver, BC office.|
The successful applicant will be expected to work closely with and support other GIS, engineering, and science professionals across the company on a variety of consulting projects. The GIS Analyst will apply their knowledge of GIS and database software applications, geography, cartography, and geomatics to manage, manipulate, and process a variety of spatial datasets. The GIS Analyst will produce high-quality figures and maps for technical reports and provide their project teams with other quantitative spatial information needed to develop, for example, hydrologic and hydraulic models of natural systems. This position requires a detailed understanding of coordinate systems, knowledge of both horizontal and vertical datums, and the requirements for integrating various datasets together into a GIS application.
Typical assignments may include:
- Gathering, compiling, migrating, and converting data sets from a variety of internal and external sources
- Supporting field data collection
- Digitizing land surface features, such as river centrelines and banks
- Mapping watershed boundaries and extracting watershed characteristics
- Building digital elevation models by integrating topographic and bathymetric data
- Acquiring, rectifying, and mosaicking aerial imagery products
- Updating and maintaining numerous GIS datasets and templates
- Generating maps for technical reports
- Applying or developing customized map automation and geoprocessing routines
- Depending on project workloads and requirements, the GIS Analyst may also have opportunities to be involved in field work with support from other technical and professional staff.
Candidates with the following essential qualifications and abilities are encouraged to apply:
- Bachelor's degree in Geography, Geomatics, or another Earth or Environmental Sciences field
- Degree or diploma from an accredited GIS program
- Proficiency with Esri ArcGIS Desktop and/or Pro
- Experience using ArcGIS Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel and Word)
- Strong organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and pride in work products
- Excellent written and verbal communication: able to define problems, communicate results, and document analysis methodologies
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Able to relocate to Vancouver, if not a local resident (relocation assistance will not be offered).
The following qualifications and skills are not required but would be considered an asset:
- 5+ years of work experience in a GIS-related position, GISP or equivalent professional designation
- Experience with CAD (AutoCAD and Civil 3D)
- Knowledge of database, file management, and document control systems
- Experience with common programming languages, such as Python (arcpy)
- Experience with ArcGIS Model Builder and Collector
- Experience developing online interactive mapping applications.
NHC offers motivated individuals the opportunity to expand their career interests into other areas of work that complement our water resources engineering business.
Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's experience and qualifications. NHC offers our employees the following benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Challenging, fast-paced work environment
- A culture of technical innovation and continuous improvement
- Opportunities to advance.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to Sarah North, GIS Analyst and Associate, with subject line "GIS Job Application".
Please include in your cover letter:
- Your specific education or practical experience, including number of years of experience, with the technologies mentioned above.
- Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for employment Visa status in Canada?
- Your salary expectations.
- The notice you would need to start work.
NHC is an equal opportunity employer and strives for workforce diversity. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.